Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Pole Sana!

Ah so sorry for not keeping up to date with my blog. Partially it was because the power has been pretty sketchy here lately and the internet has been even sketchier, but I've also just been lazy. Now I promise to be back on track though. Halfway through I was writing this, the power died...twice. Karma for procrastinating so never again!

I think I left off right before I went to Arusha to see the International Criminal Tribunal for war crimes committed in Rwanda. On Wednesday, we were very priviledged to see the trial of the former president, Mathieu Ngirumpatse, of the ruling party (MRND) of Rwanda during the genocide. Mathieu Ngirumpatse is accused of genocide, complicity in genocide, conspiracy to commit genocide, direct and public incitement to genocide, rape and exterminations (crimes against humanity), murder and causing violence to health http://www.haguejusticeportal.net/eCache/DEF/8/948.html The defence was examining him, so there weren't any too exciting or controversial questions. The defence seemed unorganized and asked, what I thought, were seemingly pointless questions and in return got long-winded and rambling answers. Nonetheless, it was very interesting to see how the trials work and I think I will go back with the new group in a couple of weeks to see how the trial has progressed. Arusha itself was a very hectic city and I am glad to be back home in "peaceful" Moshi. I headed back to Arusha on the weekend to look for a microsim but received blank stares from everyone. So for now, I have to stick with the dodgy internet at the home base.

On Thursday we took a trip to Neema Orphan Centre. There we played with babies, who were all super cute. The sisters there are doing a great job looking after the children who are abandoned by their parents at hospitals, in bushes, etc because of disabilities, financial reasons, etc and some are dropped off by parents. Some children are adopted, others stay at the orphanage while they're young and then return to their families. I was expecting it to be really sad but the children were all so happy and excited that I left feeling content.

We made another, larger batch of jam at the women's group last week. Paul and I travelled around to restaurants in town asking them to put aside some empty jam jars for us and then we found a women who sells empty jars, which made our lives a lot easier.We got about 20 jars for under 20 cents each, not too shabby. We also spent ages making labels so the jars look nice and professional. My favourite part, all Paul, is under ingredients it says: mangos, sugar, love. Soo cheesy but I love it. We spent all afternoon making jam and by the end we were tired but felt accomplished. Most of the women got bored halfway through and just left, which was frustrating because we're trying to teach them how to make jam as a sustainable source of income for the group. The next day one of the women who had left came in to have a look at the jam, picked up a labelled jar, opened it and stuck her finger it to taste it! And did not understand why Paul and I freaked out. Something that we really have to stress is proper hygiene and measures you have to take to ensure that the jam isn't contaminated. Things I would never even think about in Canada are so foreign here, which is sometimes frustrating. The final product is very impressive looking and this week we're trying to figure out where to sell it. The nuns from a local church are interested so hopefully that pans out.

On Friday I have a meeting with the human rights lawyer who spoke to our group a couple weeks ago to talk to her more about girls and education. We were supposed to meet last week but she got delayed (never late, always delayed) and we had to go. This weekend I leave for safari. I'm heading to the Serengeti where we will actually see pride rock in the Lion King and the migrations! Promise to add photos soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment